Follow me on fb

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Check it out. RK Ryals is the Featured Author on my page today!



 It's my pleasure to share this information of a wonderful Author whose words have a way of melt the hearts of all around her.  I introduce Author  R.K. Ryals
 

What made you decide to go indie? Going indie was an interesting step forward for me. I had been querying traditional publishers for a while when my editor on the Redemption series suggested I try independent publishing. Indie publishing was something  that wasn’t quite as popular then as it is now, so the stigma behind it held me back at first. It turned out to be the best decision I’d ever made. Not only have  I met some amazing people, but it has really allowed me freedom in my writing I’m not sure I would have enjoyed before, and I connect on a much more personal level I think with the fans.

 How long did it take before you felt like you'd "made it" as a "real" author?

The first year I was published, I felt like a success just because I’d made that really important step forward, the one where I could say “I’m published.” But I think it was the first time one of my books made one of the Amazon bestselling lists that it hit me. That and when I received my first fan mail. It was an awe-inspiring moment for me, that “wow, this is real” moment.

What’s the best advice on writing that you’ve ever been given?

My mother once told me that “what some consider trash, others consider genious.” It is one of the most important pieces of advice I could have ever been given. It doesn’t just pertain to writing, but for me it does. It reminds me that not everything I write will mean something to someone, but it will to somebody. It is also important to remember that not everyone will like my work, but to really embrace those who do.

Do you listen to music when you write? If so what do you like to listen to?

I do listen to music when I write. It’s not something I have to do, but music inspires me, and it helps move a story forward. I have a playlist for every book I’ve written. It ranges from classical to rap to new age to jazz to pop to rock. There is no specific type of music. I listen to the type of music I think defines that particular book.



Where do you find inspiration for story ideas? From everywhere. I find inspiration from the smallest places, sometimes from personal experience, sometimes from dreams, and other times simply from little moments. For example, it was flipping a coin to decide an argument that inspired the Redemption series, the idea that good and evil could exist on the same coin. The Scribes of Medeisia series was inspired by the idea that the pen is mightier than the sword.



Can you tell us about your writing process?

I don’t have any particular writing process. It's probably chaos to the average observer. lol! I make notes when I have an idea--on post it notes, on my phone memo pad, on notebooks and on my tablet--and then I come back to those later. I prefer to write in first person though I do intend to write a series in third person at some point. I also prefer to start at the beginning and work my way to the end of a book rather than piecing it together. I’m a pantser writer which means I let the characters lead me to the end. I never really know how a book will end when I start it.

How do you interact with readers, using social media?

I use Facebook, twitter, instagram and my website to connect with readers. I love my readers. They are simply amazing. I love their messages and their interactions. I’m really passionate about charity, especially literacy and sharing the love of reading. Because of this, I do daily giveaways on Facebook. Each giveaway is tailored to a different age group. And I ship or gift these books to readers every Sunday. It’s really important to me to get books out there, books that aren’t just mine. Knowing someone somewhere is opening a package with a copy of Percy Jackson or Peter Pan or Goodnight Moon and they are reading this to their children or reading a book for themselves makes the coffee I drink every morning taste that much sweeter.

Have you always wanted to be a writer? I can’t remember a time where I didn’t want to write. To be fair, I started out wanting to be an oral storyteller first. My grandmother told the most amazing stories. I had a passion for reading that translated into storytelling. I started by telling my sister stories at night under a blanket with a flashlight and later started writing in school, first poetry, then essays, then newspaper articles for a local paper, and then later to writing books. I have always written, in some fashion.

What was your favorite part to write and why? My favorite part to write in Tempest was the end of part I. I can’t say what happened without spoling it, but when I first wrote it, it surprised me so much I hated it. It tore me up. It literally made me ill. It was a powerful scene that made me look at the entire series in a whole new light. It defined the series, and turned it into something epic. Because of that, it has become my favorite part of the series.

Would you kindly share a brief excerpt of one of your favorite scenes?

This is from Tempest: The Scribes of Medeisia Book 2

And then I lost my battle with the wind, just remembering to turn my head so that when I fell onto Oran, it was with my cheek, my nose and mouth open and uncovered. It put me eye to eye with Lochlen. His reptilian eyes were dilated, his pupils blackening his gaze.

“It ends soon,” he promised.

His eyes stayed locked on mine, and I concentrated on that. Lochlen, my dragon. I’m not sure when I had started seeing him that way. It was a strange connection I’d felt since I’d first met him at the edge of the Ardus. Not a love at first sight romantic kind of feeling; he was a dragon after all. More of an I need you kind of feeling; a friendship that seemed to start without words.

I was so tired. The wind bore down on us so roughly I felt like I couldn’t breathe. And maybe I couldn’t. There was no room under the fabric for all of us to breathe, no oxygen left. The wind was stealing it all away.

“Just a little longer,” Lochlen yelled, his eyes on mine.

My face was pressed so deeply into Oran’s fur that I could almost smell the forest on him, the hair tickling my nose.

“Don’t let go!” Kye ordered from above me, his voice firm, commanding.

The flat, thick tent was lifting, and I knew the men were losing their battle with the wind.

“Don’t let go!” Kye yelled. “Remember why we came!”

I tried lifting my head, but between the wind, the fabric, and Kye, I couldn’t move at all.

“Can’t breathe!” Daegan panted. “Can’t ...”

“Can’t breathe,” I agreed, my voice a whisper.

No one heard me.


Thank you so much, RK.  I hope you thoroughly enjoy your day

You can find book information for Ryal's first two books in this series below.  


 
BOOK ONE - FREE on AMAZON


http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Mage-Scribes-Medeisia-Ryals-ebook/dp/B00B5I2K1I/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1391406295&sr=1-7&keywords=RK+Ryals



 Books never die, but they can be forbidden.

Medeisia is a country in turmoil ruled by a blood thirsty king who has outlawed the use of magic and anything pertaining to knowledge. Magery and scribery are forbidden. All who practice are marked with a tattoo branded onto their wrists, their futures precarious.

Sixteen year-old Drastona Consta-Mayria lives secluded, spending her spare time in the Archives of her father's manor surrounded by scribes. She wants nothing more than to become one of them, but when the scribes are royally disbanded, she is thrust into a harsh world where the marked must survive or die.




Reviews for Tempest-


Hauntingly beautiful ... one of her bests yet!
Remarkably rich with depth and detail! One of the greatest fantasy series of all time!
I laughed and cried, and cried, and then when I thought I was done crying because I found myself laughing...I cried again.


 

BOOK TWO- Currently at an EVENT SALE PRICE

http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Scribes-Medeisia-R-K-Ryals-ebook/dp/B00CQCQWJ8/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1391405369&sr=1-7&keywords=tempest



Tempest (The Scribes of
Medeisia)

Link http://ow.ly/sDBsn
Author R.K. Ryals

We must overcome and prevail ...

King Raemon of Medeisia is slaughtering tattooed scribes and mages, forcing them into hiding. All
marked and those associated with them are destroyed. The people are desperate. Months after
challenging Raemon, the marked rebels of Medeisia must rise against their bloodthirsty king or chance
being annihilated.
Sixteen year-old Drastona Consta-Mayria is the prophesied phoenix of peace, desperate to be a leader
for her people despite her reservations. Following the lead of a scarred and forgotten prince, Drastona
will embark on a journey with an unlikely band of rebels and a dragon across a cursed desert to bring
down a king and save a kingdom.

Youtube Video Trailer for Mark of the MaAuthor R.K. Ryals
http://youtu.be/Hk8U6qAv9IA

No comments:

Post a Comment